A, B, and C: Which CDL Classification Is for You?

If you are looking for a fulfilling career opportunity after you retire from active military service, you may want to look into the benefits of getting your CDL. Using your GI Bill, you will be able to finance your truck driving school and embark on an exciting truck driving career. During your time in school, you will need to decide what type of CDL classification will fit your career aspirations. Let’s take a look at the three CDL classifications that are available to you.

Class A

When you are a new truck driver, you will typically start out with a Class A CDL classification. After you have received your Class A classification, you will be certified to drive a vehicle and trailer setup that has a combined weight of at least 26,001 pounds. With a Class A certification, you can legally tow more than 10,000 pounds.

Class B

Class B certifications are suited for drivers that will be towing lighter weights. Unlike a Class A certification, which allows a driver to tow a unit in excess of 10,000 pounds, a Class B has a set limit of a 10,000 pound tow weight. A Class B certification may be useful for local transportation positions.

Class C

The Class C certification covers any drivers who will be transporting hazardous materials. In order to legally transport hazardous materials, you will need to undergo a special Class C CDL certification. Typically, a driver obtains a Class C classification after he or she has passed the Class A or B classification.

Once you have determined that you are ready for a career in truck driving, be sure to get in touch with Phoenix Truck Driving School Ft. Bliss by calling (877) 206-8344. We are conveniently located on the Ft. Bliss base, and we help veterans and other military professionals obtain their CDLs. Our team looks forward to helping you prepare for your upcoming CDL exam.

Leave a Reply